Buckland Salad, aka Watergate Salad
If you’re looking for an easy Jell-O side dish for your holiday table, try my upgraded Buckland Salad.
True story: once, my grandma and sister-in-law actually had a passive-aggressive altercation in the kitchen over the leftovers. My grandma nearly took her down over this midwest delicacy.
I’ve also thrown in a few holiday playlists on Apple Music for you to jam to while you mix it up.
Buckland Salad: Recipe
- 1 pint of whipping cream
- 2/3 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 dash of vanilla extract
- 1 can of Dole pineapple chunks (some juice reserved)
- 2 packages of pistachio Jell-O pudding
- 1/2 bag of mini marshmallows
- Optional: 1/4 cup of chopped pistachios (already shelled)
- Use a hand or Kitchen-Aid stand mixer to combine the whipping cream and powdered sugar. Alternating between the two. If needed use more powdered sugar. Mix in a dash of vanilla extract. The whipping cream should form stiff peaks.
- Next, using the mixer gently mix in the pudding mix.
- Drain the can of pineapple. Reserving about 1/4 cup of juice in a separate bowl. Add the entire can of pineapple and gently mix it in.
- Add reserved pineapple juice a tablespoon at a time. The mixture should not be soupy.
- Empty half a bag of mini marshmallows and the optional pistachios into the bowl and gently fold it in with a fork or spatula.
- Chill for 1 hour to stiffen it up and serve.
Note: you can add more marshmallows if it’s a little soupy to soak up some liquid if needed.